Sunday, August 29, 2010

A few pictures and memories of our vacation!!!



This is Lake Huron, a small beach in Forestville we found. We love this beach as it is usually not very busy. These were in the water from a family that was resting on the beach. We just thought that was an awesome picture.
On our first weekend, we spent the day at a Civil War Re-enactment. It was amazing! The people really act like that time period. One of my favorites was the cemetery walk we did of the Civil War veterans of the town of Port Sanilac. There were quite alot of men who were in the Civil War. This is the guy who led us around to all of their graves and gave a brief history of them. Of course my love of history made this such a special thing for us to do. 
These guys did a gun salute for the memory of the Civil War veterans, and taps was being played in the distance from a bugle. We all had our hands on our hearts and looking at the flag. I couldn't help but cry.
This man here who served for us, had a farm he and his wife raised their kids on, and farmed their land until he died. We were going down the road M-25 that follows Lake Huron. And I saw a road sign that said Basler. There are alot of farms and dirt roads around this area. I said to Sim, I know that name is one of the Civil War veterans. So we went down it to see if the farm was still standing. Couldn't tell, but this is what we saw on this very special road!!
The beauty of God's World.

5 comments:

genie said...

What a beautiful post. We just got home from our Family Reunion week at thebeach in VA....16 of us for 7 days...lots of kids, food, fun, swimming, hugging, laughing, needling...you name it and we did it. I hope my holiday post turns out just half as well as yours. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Genie from Buttons

Unknown said...

This post leaves me in wonder. I think God has ways of speaking to us in the most beautiful way. Almost to say...the soldier is resting with me and I give you the deer as remembrance of a life well lived and fought hard.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend some R&R time. I enjoy reenactments and encampments and period celebrations.
You can share this type of post with me any time.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Wow. What a really awesome trip you guys had. The re-enactment must have been pretty amazing.

Jewels said...

Fran - looks like you had a great vacation - wonderful pics. We are heading over to Tobermory this weekend to the other side of Lake Huron. Check in with you soon. Jewels